Apr 14, 2011

Pizza Night


My absolute favorite food in the world is pizza.  I can always be in the mood for pizza; even if I just finished a whole large by myself, I am ready for more.  (Just for the record, I have not had a whole large pizza by myself, but I'm workin' on it.)  Growing up, Friday was pizza night, and it was always such a long wait until the next Friday night, when I could finally be reunited with my delicious cheesy goodness.  Now that I am all grown up and get to decide for myself what's for dinner, I usually can't wait until Friday for pizza and sometimes I can't even wait two days, let alone a whole week, to have it again.  My husband is actually the cook in our house and he has been working hard the past year to perfect his pizza dough and sauce recipes, which he now has down to a science.  The dough is the perfect texture and the sauce has just the right amount of seasoning.  Well, it just so happens that today is your lucky day as he is allowing me to share his secret recipes.  Here are the basic recipes for the dough and sauce, and depending on your specific tastes, you can adjust the amounts of seasonings; we like ours spicy, so we usually add more cayenne!

Dough  (makes 1 large pizza, our pan is a 16" diameter)
Ingredients:
1 Tablespoon yeast (1 package active dry)
1 cup very warm water
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups flour
2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm water, then add the remaining ingredients and mix until a soft dough forms.  Cover and let rise till double in size, about 30 minutes.  Turn dough out onto floured surface and roll out into pizza shape.  Cover with sauce, cheese and toppings, bake at 400 degrees for about 20-25 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted through.

Sauce  (makes enough for 2 large pizzas)
Ingredients:
1 6oz can tomato paste
6oz hot water
1/2 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 Tablespoon dried oregano
1/2 Tablespoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (add more if you like it spicy!)
2 Tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix tomato paste and hot water till smooth, add remaining ingredients and mix well.

Tips:  Let the dough rise in a warmed oven.  Spread olive oil on the pizza pan and sprinkle with cornmeal before putting the dough on.  Bake the dough for a few minutes after you spread it on the pan and before adding any toppings.  Once the pizza is done, place on wire rack to cool, helps the dough from getting soggy and keeps it crispy.






11 comments:

  1. We were just talking about home made pizza at work. LOOKS SO GOOD. Yum.

    I am having a Free People give-away on my blog if you're interested!
    xo
    strawberry freckleface

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the best pizza. Ben is an amazing pizza maker!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, thank you, I'll let him know!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! i want too!

    kisses from La Mode En Rose = )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, this pizza is amazing! Ben just made it for us in our kitchen last weekend! What a great cook he is! Perfect pizza!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks so good! I totally want pizza now.

    http://initialed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. As I am italian, I can confirm you that pizza is the most amazing food in the world ;))))!
    http://chiccastyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks really good!

    http://thefashioninbox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving some love! I appreciate every single comment! Make sure to leave your website so I can comment back! xo