May 12, 2011

Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew


Every time I use the Crock-Pot, I kick myself for not using it more.  It is the easiest thing in the world (even for me - Miss Kitchen Nightmare) and makes the whole house smell delicious all day.  Usually when summer comes around I crave salads and lighter meals, so hot, hearty foods are pretty much out of the question when it is 90 degrees out.  But lucky for me, the temperatures dropped a little a few days ago and put me in the mood for some warm, comfort food.  My first (and only) thought was to bust out the Crock-Pot and try one of the recipes from the Crock-Pot cookbook we got for Christmas.  I came across this stew recipe and the picture looked so good I could almost taste it, so I thought I would give it a whirl.  Turns out, it was amazing and of course mine looked nothing like the picture, but was delicious all the same, not to mention pretty healthy too.  I added a few extra ingredients to give it more flavor and according to my hubby, even after having it two nights in a row, "It's a keeper."

Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew
Makes 6 servings
Cook time: 6-8 hrs on Low or 3-4 hrs on High

Ingredients:
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cubed (I used red potatoes instead)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2" slices
- 1 can (28 oz) whole stewed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 cup fat-free low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil

- Combine all ingredients except for basil in Crock-Pot, cover and cook on low for 6-8 hrs or high for 3-4 hrs, stir occasionally.  Sprinkle with basil just before serving.

* I added about 1 1/2 teaspoons of curry powder, 1 teaspoon of cumin, 1 teaspoon of chili powder and 1 teaspoon minced garlic.



5 comments:

  1. Def gonna try it out this weekend! I love sweet potatoes and stews! looks great! thanks for sharing!

    xo Nav
    http://navlandstyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to try and make this. I will let you know how it turns out. :)
    xx
    Shellena
    mintalamode.blogpsot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only say 1 thing to this: YUMMY!

    http://mundodealicia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thsi looks yummy. I'm a sweat potato nut.

    Dhalia

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving some love! I appreciate every single comment! Make sure to leave your website so I can comment back! xo