May 30, 2011

Things I'm Loving: Button-Ups


Of course when I had to wear button-up shirts as part of a dress code, I hated them.  Mostly because they never fit right, since they are not made for people with ridiculously long arms and a long torso.  Plus the material was uncomfortable, so it felt like you were wearing a cardboard box . . . a cropped, 5/8 sleeve, cardboard box, to be exact.  But now that am I am not bound by a dress code, I am finding that button-up shirts are not as evil as I once thought.  I am obsessed with finding silky button-ups in fun colors and prints, or lightweight linen versions for casual days.  I still have occasional issues with the sleeve length, but can easily remedy that with rolling them up.  And there are times that I prefer a more fitted look so I will either pair them with high-waisted pants, a pencil skirt or simply add a belt to give some shape.  I love that button-up shirts can take you from preppy to provocative or from constrained to casual with just one button.  I also love that every single button-up shirt I find in the thrift store comes with shoulder pads.  And what I love even more, is when I tell the guy at the register he can just throw them away, he asks, "Are you sure?", and he genuinely seems concerned.  Yes, I'm sure; sadly my football glory days are long gone.  But, thankfully I have moved on and found another love; button-up shirts.
Hope you all have a happy Memorial Day!!
*Disclaimer - Don't worry, I leave the shoulder pads in for your trying-on pleasure, I only rip them out if I'm buying the shirt.




23 comments:

  1. Love the first shirt! The second one is nice too and the last one i like as well! Nice!

    www.LIVINGandFASHION.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rarely wear button ups unless they look boyish ha.. but the leopard print one is really cool.. I think I'll get one too..
    stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could find the perfect button up but they never fit me correctly (usually in the bust area) and I always feel like I'm pulling them down! The first one looks so airy and breezy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roisin-ElizabethMay 30, 2011 at 11:16 AM

    I love the white one with the black buttons and the ruffle - too cute!

    Much Love
    Roisin Elizabeth
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been dying for a silk button up! i really like the cheetah and light pink button up So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The white one with ruffles is my fave! I love button ups even after all those years of school uniform but they're tricky when you have a larger chest :(
    You've found great treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog is SO cute! Fab clothes

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely adore the first peach shirt. It's simple, but at the same time so sophisticated. Bravo.

    Cheers,
    Gina

    http://ginabiber.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you! I appreciate that so much!
    Sherry :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hear ya, I have a hard time too, that's why I've found these different materials work better for me, rather than just cotton, they have a little more give and I usually have to go up a couple sizes so they fit the bust and the arms!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I so want the leopard print button down <3 I can see that shirt with a red pencil skirt or black skinnies....but I'm sure however you pair it it will be super cute!

    Cam
    http://www.myexpressions24.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aww, thank you!! You're too sweet!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That second one is gorgeous! I have a weakness for button ups so I'm trying to change up my wardrobe a bit. I think I wear them way too much!

    ReplyDelete
  15. All of those shirts are great! You're making me want to run out and get some of my own. (: They sometimes don't fit me quite right, but when I find the right one, I swear, there're angels singing, haha. Can't wait to see some of these in your wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lol, I know what you mean! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I rarely wear button ups in my personal life but they are all the rage in my professional life, LOVE them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. loving the leopard one alot :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. PinkstrawberrymargaritaMay 31, 2011 at 10:47 AM

    lovely tops! :)

    much love,
    thepinkmargarita.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cute tops!!

    Im your newest follower, hope youll want to follow me too : )

    www.baublesandbangles.blogspot.com

    www.rosivintage.etsy.com

    -Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  21. I need button up shirts before we move, so this is awesome. I love that white ruffled top, so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  22. the second shirt is so pretty!

    talesofmonkeyandpig.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving some love! I appreciate every single comment! Make sure to leave your website so I can comment back! xo