May 26, 2011

Turkey And Havarti With Pesto On Focaccia


Try saying that five times fast!  No don't, you'll end up hurting yourself like I did.  How about you just try making this sandwich instead?  I guarantee no sandwich will ever measure up after trying one of these puppies.  Nothing can compare to fresh homemade bread and pesto and piling up as much meat and as many tomatoes as you like, and of course no sandwich is ever complete without bacon.  We have made these sandwiches a few times now and each time they somehow seem to get better and better; probably has something to do with my bread-making skills improving.  The first time I made this bread it really could not be considered a "bread", it was more of a long, flat, doughy. . . type . . . thing - still tasted good though!  But we get serious cravings for these sandwiches all the time and had not made them in about a month, so we figured it was high time that we make them again.  

Focaccia Bread
Makes 2 breads, 12 slices each

Ingredients:
- 2 1/2-3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh or 1 tablespoon dried rosemary leaves
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package regular or quick active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup very warm water (120-130 degrees F)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup grated Paresan cheese

* In large bowl, mix 1 cup flour, rosemary, sugar, salt and yeast.  Add 3 tablespoons oil and the water.  Beat with mixer on medium speed 3 minutes, scraping bowl frequently.  Stir in enough remaining flour until dough is soft and leaves sides of bowl.
Place dough on lightly floured surface, knead 5-8 minutes or until dough is smooth and springy.  Grease large bowl with shortening, place dough in bowl, turning dough to grease all sides.  Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in warm place about 30 minutes, or until double in size.  Dough is ready when indentation (lightly poke your fingertip into the dough) remains.
Grease 2 cookie sheets with small amount of cooking spray.
Gently push fist into dough to deflate.  Divide dough in half, shape each half into a 10" round on cookie sheet.  Cover with plastic wrap sprayed lightly with cooking spray and let rise in warm place about 30 minutes or until double in size.
Heat oven to 400 degrees F.  Gently make 1/2" deep depressions about 2" apart in dough with fingers.  Carefully brush with 2 tablespoons oil and sprinkle with cheese.  Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

** BREAD TIPS:  I use dried Basil because that's what I always have on hand and it tastes great.  Be very gentle with the dough once it has risen, it deflates very easily and it's hard to get it puffy again, so don't flatten it out at all.  After you pour the warm water over the yeast in the first step, let it sit for a minute so the yeast can be activated.

** SANDWICH TIPS:  We lay the sandwiches open-face in the oven at 350 for about 2 minutes, to warm it up, then put it under the broiler for about 3 minutes, to melt the cheese.  I don't like to put the lettuce and tomato on until it's been baked, but my husband likes to put tomatoes and onions on before it goes in the oven, so, suit yourself!






19 comments:

  1. WOW this looks delicious! Want to have that now, hungry :) XO Raspberry & Rouge
    http://raspberry-rouge.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! Why must you post this so early in the day. Now I am drooling over this. The sauce looks amazing!
    xoxo
    -linh
    http://la-lalinh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. UM wow! That looks like a professional photo of a lunch at a restaurant. So delish!!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Too bad I don't have a Replicator (a la Star Trek) that I could just zap it to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL!! Oh I do love reading comments - they make my day!! :) Thank you all!

    xo Sherry :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmmm ...

    have you seen my new post ?
    http://v-fashionwise.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sandwich looks amazing! It seriously does. It reminds me of a sandwich at a local restaurant, oh man, it's making me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I havent eaten all day and this made me want to cry...

    so amazing looking


    Peace & love
    oxo, ETTE

    WWW.THRIFTEDKARMA.COM

    ReplyDelete
  9. omg! i just got hungry and i just ate :))) thanks for the lovely comment!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I reaaly love home-made bread, tortillas, piadinas etc. and your recipe looks very attractive :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok this recipe is definitely worth trying! Thanks for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. stop it right now. homemade focaccia!! look at you go :) and havarti is THE BEST. I'm a cheese lover, and there's something about havarti that wins me over every time :) Great recipe, thanks for sharing!! Goodness, those photos are making my mouth water...

    xo,
    Haley {Life is Sweet}

    http://adamandhaleykjar.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow this looks amazing!!! I'll have to try to make that Focaccia!
    www.nydontleaveme.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can you deliver an order for 2 - Dad and I are ready for lunch!!!! Looks soooooo delicious =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lol!! Sure thing Mom . . . order up! My delivery boy will be there in a jiffy :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think I'm obsessing over the recipes you post! I love how easy and delicious they are!!! And I love you for sharing them! Thanks! This will be another one to try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. And I love you for loving them!! That's the only way I like it - easy & delicious! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG! Those pics are making my mouth water! Looks so good.

    Sophia
    http://lasophialasophia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving some love! I appreciate every single comment! Make sure to leave your website so I can comment back! xo