Jul 27, 2011

To Make A House A Home



It is easy to hang a few family pictures on a wall, throw some pillows on the couch and stuff some flowers in a vase; but what really turns a house into a home?  I asked my hubby that question and his answer was to point at me and then the dog; translation - it is the people in the house make it a home.  I gave him an "A" for effort (and a kiss for sweetness), but that was not quite the answer I was looking for (even though, once again, he's right).  My theory on making a house a home in terms of home decor is, to make sure your home is a reflection of who you are and to fill it with the things you love.  Whether you love artwork, electronics, color or collectibles, find ways to incorporate them in your home decor to make it more personal.  There are a few things I think every home should have that help enhance the homey feeling: flowers and plants (whether real or fake), candles, family pictures, a cohesive color scheme, and lots of different textures.  I think one of the biggest things that is often overlooked when trying to create a homey space is the smell of your house.  Back in the day, when Ben and I were dating and he would come over to my apartment, he said he always felt like he was "home" because of how my place smelled (it was a good smell, I promise).  I always make sure to have plug-in's, incense or candles in every room so they not only look pretty and welcoming, but smell that way too.

Here are a few details that make our house our home:









We display keepsakes such as birthday cards, love notes, pictures and ticket stubs from memorable dates on a bulletin board (re-painted to go with the rest of our decor).  It also helps to get conversations started when company comes over - I get a chance to brag about my adorable two year old nephew who made me the best birthday card ever!


I am a bit of a bookworm so I love to have little stacks of strategically turned books on nightstands and coffee tables.  I am also a huge sucker for candles and leopard print; so a leopard print candle was a no-brainer!

















We love black and white photos, so we keep this one front and center in the living room; along with a couple vases and a single red rose to add some depth, height and color, without cluttering up the shelf.  We have a black and white theme throughout the whole house, so we made black and white fabric boards to fill up some wall space.



We love our huge, comfy sectional and keep piles of blankets and pillows around for optimal snuggling (dog included).  The living room and the bedroom are the easiest areas to add texture since you can add throws, pillows, rugs and curtains in different fabrics to give a certain feel.  For a more cozy atmosphere, use soft, plush materials; for a more modern feel, go with lighter, natural fabrics.








Family photos, flowers, color and graphic prints are a must in our house!  Use similar frames if you have a lot of pictures in the same area; it just helps the room to feel more cohesive.

** Your turn!  What makes your house your home?

20 comments:

  1. OMG love the bed set-up! My bed is purple and leopard! I'm obsessed! I love those pillows, they look elegant and I know it's easy for animal print to look cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loooove the leopard print candle!
    Decorating my own apartment next week, so I'll let you know ;)


    ♥, Ette
    www.thriftedkarma.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that couch does look amazing. And love all the cute details and bright pops of color!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Books, photos, heirlooms, antiques, artwork...our house is full of things from our family. Quilts, old suitcases, pottery...and LOTS and LOTS of books. The books are everywhere! : )

    Your house looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! Quilts are great and I love old suitcases!!! Good stuff!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! Yay! Can't wait to see it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, LOVE purple and leopard print - great choice!! Do you have pics up??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely...the throw on the bed and the green accents are just perfect!
    xo Cara
    http://www.afashionloveaffair.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Black and white with bright accents is always a good call.

    GTBB,
    http://badjoan.com
    http://badjoan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bulletin Board Concept is amazing, The two colors speaks volumes about the Home & its Design.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. love your style! especially love that couch & the bedroom!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the bulletin, such a cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you!! It was originally supposed to be a chalkboard, but my little DIY project kinda flubbed!! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We got it at a funiture store here in LA, but I found it online for someone else here: http://gigainternational.com/default/LivingRoom/CF501569.htm

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving some love! I appreciate every single comment! Make sure to leave your website so I can comment back! xo