Jul 19, 2011

Trend To Try: Neon

Neon Lovin'


I am so glad trends are cyclical; not just for the fact that if you hold on to things long enough, they will come back in style, but also for the second chance to squeeze every ounce of life out of the trend and wear it until you are sick of it.  I was just a wee squirt back in the 80's, when neon was in its prime, and did not quite get my fill of neon attire, despite being decked out, literally from head to toe, in hot pink.  (The scrunchy, the sweatshirt, the windbreaker, the jelly bracelets and the mud boots; ohhh yeaahhh, I had neon pink mud boots - don't even try to pretend like you're not jealous!)  So I am excited that neon has come full circle and is on-trend again, so I can soak up every bit of fluorescent I can get my paws on this time around.  Granted, I will not be wearing it quite like I used to, but in smaller doses, neon is a definite "must" for summer. 
I am sure many people feel like neon should have stayed in the 80's, along with the hammer pants and bedazzled jean jackets; however, it is not only a great way to add a little color to an outfit, but also a great way to brighten up your complexion, as these shocking colors look great on pretty much any skin tone.  My advice for trying this trend is, keep your outfit simple and basic, and only use the neon as a little pop of color.  For instance, add a hot pink belt to your white jeans, or a stack of neon bangles to an otherwise neutral outfit or wear a bright green watch with a gray tank and jean cut-offs.  If you are really feeling the neon love, then by all means, go full force with the bright orange dress and a contrasting neon blue clutch - you will look and feel fabulous, and you will definitely be the center of attention!  (Please just make sure the dress is a modern cut and material- no puffed sleeves or iridescent taffeta!)  But maybe your scar has not quite healed from the 80's color overload, and just a simple, fun nail polish or a cool pair of shades will do the trick.  Any way you want to wear it, neon is the perfect way to add some fun color to your summer wardrobe!

Here are some picks to get you started:
- Topshop Orange Split Neck Halter Dress, $76
- Forever 21 Color Scheme Bangles, $3.80
- Forever 21 Patent T-Strap Sandals, $10.80
- American Apparel Neon Nail Polish, $6 each
- Forever 21 Glossy Leatherette Skinny Belt, $2.50
- Topshop MOTO Tangerine Denim Hotpants , $55
- Amazon.com Pink Neon & Black Sunglasses Wayfarer 80's, $4.39**
- Topshop Knitted Cobalt Stitch Stripe Top, $72
- Sears Geneva Platinum Women's Neon Green Silicone Straip Watch, $23.99
- Hunter Festival Fluoro Tall Neon Green Wellies, $67 on sale**

** I had a pair few pairs just like this back in the day, plus a fanny pack to match!  Except the glasses were about 3 sizes too big for my face!  That did not stop me from wearing them though!

16 comments:

  1. I remember having fluro socks in the 80's : ) Good times!

    x
    Michelle
    www.michellesstylefile.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Partikularrak PartikularrakJuly 19, 2011 at 3:19 AM

    Funny items!
    http://enarasthings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. totally digging those neon green hunter boots! good find!

    www.cupcakesomg.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to try the neon nail polish! :-) I love bright colors in the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE NEON! Nice round-up here--those Hunter boots are killer.

    I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol!! Oh yeah! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol, I know, I love them, just might need to go out on a limb and get 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, I'm loving the neon polish this summer too!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay!! Thank you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG I cannot believe the Hunters in that color and that price, off to their site.
    I have always say that, fashion is cyclical when my 'people' here ask me to get rid of so many things on my closet .... some I sell but most I know ( and history has prove me right) that I will use again.
    That dress is stunning as well.

    http://styleidnet.blogspot.com/
    http://styleidcloset.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know huh? I was shocked when I found them - they're perfect!! Yeah, I should be better about saving things, but I've been trying to kick my "pack rat" habit so I constantly purge my closet! Good for you for hanging on to things!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a huge fan of neon and I'm glad it made a comeback! It's definitely a great way to add a punch of color. I just found a neon clutch at T.J. Maxx and I can't wait to take it out to play!:) -A

    Blurbs | Blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow!! Nice find!! Can't wait to see some pics of it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love the all designing works
    thanks for updates
    glass

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh the fanny packs we all adored! My nails are tangerine right now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lol, I know! They are actually kind of a genius idea - I get so tired of carrying my bag on my shoulders, and hips are meant for carrying things around, right??!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving some love! I appreciate every single comment! Make sure to leave your website so I can comment back! xo