Aug 25, 2011

Salsa And Guacamole


I think besides cookies, salsa (preferably with chips) is my favorite thing to eat.  I am afraid to even guess how much salsa we actually consume in a year . . . it's a lot, and we'll just leave it at that.  It wasn't until very recently though, that I also became addicted to guacamole.  I have never really cared for avocados, so it seemed pretty safe to think that I would not care for guacamole either.  But then my husband had to go and make some amazing spicy guacamole and I was hooked.  We make salsa and guacamole all the time and they are staples in our house since we use them to top pretty much everything we eat, so I wanted to share the recipes that the hubs has perfected over the last year so you can enjoy them as much as we do.  Be sure to check out the options for some ideas to spice them up a little!

Salsa
Ingredients:
- 3 Tomatoes
- 1 Onion
- 2 Jalapenos
- 1/4 cup chopped Cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 Tablespoon lime juice
* Chop tomatoes, onion, jalapenos and cilantro (we use the food processor to chop everything), add to large bowl and mix in salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic and lime juice.  
** Options - You can roast the tomatoes, onion and peppers for a more smoky flavor.  If you want more spice use habanero peppers or add red pepper flakes.  If you want less spice, then make sure to de-seed the jalapenos or use serrano peppers.


























Guacamole
Ingredients:
- 3 Avocados
- 1/4 cup chopped Onion
- 1/4 cup chopped Tomato
- 1/4 cup chopped Cilantro
- 1/2 Tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 Tablespoon lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chili powder to taste
* Scoop out avocados from skin, put in a bowl with onions and cilantro then mash to desired consistency.  Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
** Options - Add sour cream for a creamier texture.  Add cayenne pepper for a spicy kick.
















21 comments:

  1. Alexandra ZagrebelnaiaAugust 25, 2011 at 4:51 AM

    Oh, I should try it!))

    visit my blog please
    http://ohsoalexandrish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum ! This post makes me hungry !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Mexican food (and salsa and guacamole) but I hate cilantro with an unreasonable passion. I totally want to try these recipes though (just without cilantro) . : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maca (The Spanglish Life)August 25, 2011 at 8:47 AM

    Salsa and Guacamole are probably my fave things to eat too (But I've always been a sucker for avocados) the H and I put jalapeno on everything though so its always a little spicy :)

    www.thespanglishlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM, plus I love your nail color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. dang, yall do like it spicy!! i put guac on everything too--steak, burgers, i even eat it with scrambled eggs!

    CupcakesOMG!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey, nice recipes thanks. I love salsa and anything with avacado. I am gonna try them!
    thanks

    http://anusha-shravani.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great!!! You'll have to let me know how you like them!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, you can definitely do it without the cilantro - I'm not big on it either, but the hubs can't get enough of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely! Let me know if you do!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, we do like it pretty spicy! Mmmm, it's the best on burgers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmm!!! I do love me some spice!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That salsa looks so delicious!

    kahla-sansom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, both of those look yummy! I love avocados and am a big fan of guacamole, so I will definitely be trying out that recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. O YUMMMM! My ultimate guilty pleasure! Looks delish!

    Thanks for leaving me such sweet comments, hope to see you back again soon!

    xo-Julie
    Peace. Love. LOL!

    Haute Khuuture Blog

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay! Great! Let me know how you like it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks!! It sure is!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I made my own home-made salsa for the first time this week - so much better than the shop bought variety (it was also pretty spicy!) so I'll be making my own from now on!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! That's great! I know, I like ours better than the store bought too, so much fresher!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yumm, I love guacamole! I'll have to try this recipe

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving some love! I appreciate every single comment! Make sure to leave your website so I can comment back! xo