Sep 15, 2011

Chili And Corn Casserole

Chili with corn casserole

One of our favorite things to make when the weather gets cooler, is chili.  It is the perfect meal for a cool night - it is hearty and delicious and warms you from the inside out.  We have tried quite a few different variations - most of them way too spicy for humans - and finally settled on this one.  It is just spicy enough and is full of flavor.  We usually make either corn muffins or biscuits to go with our chili, but decided to try something a little different this time and made a corn casserole.  This is actually my mother-in-law's recipe that she passed along to us - it was one of their family favorites for holiday meals.  I was thrilled to try it for the first time two years ago, for my first Christmas with their family and it immediately became one of my favorites too.  It tastes like a super moist and creamy, sweet cornbread; but better, if that is even possible.  It was the perfect compliment to the chili and made for an incredibly satisfying and easy fall dinner.

Chili  (Makes about 10-15 servings)
Ingredients:
- 1 pound ground beef/turkey
- 2 cans chili beans, undrained
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 can pinto beans, drained
- 1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 can hominy, drained
- 1 jalapeno, chopped (take out the seeds if you don't want it too spicy)
- 1 serrano pepper, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, brown meat with onions, green/serrano/jalapeno peppers and garlic.  Add remaining ingredients, except for cilantro and stir well.  Let simmer about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add cilantro and stir well, then serve with melted cheese on top!

** Options: Use fire roasted tomatoes for a little extra flavor.  Add corn or use in place of hominy.  Add kidney beans.  Add red pepper flakes, extra cayenne powder and leave seeds in jalapeno if you want it spicier!  Add hot sauce or buffalo sauce for extra spice and flavor.

Chili

Bowls of chili


Corn Casserole
Ingredients:
- 2 sticks of butter/margarine, melted
- 1 can corn, with juice
- 2 cans cream style corn
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 pint sour cream
- 2 (8oz) pkgs Jiffy cornbread mix
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix all ingredients in large bowl until well blended.  Pour into greased 9x13 pan.  Bake 1 hour, or until toothpick comes out clean.
(We just cut the recipe in half and used an 8x8 dish.)

Corn casserole batter

Corn casserole

Corn casserole and chili

18 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely delicious Sherry! I love Chili and will have to give this recipe a try! Thank you for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Partikularrak PartikularrakSeptember 15, 2011 at 9:18 AM

    I haven't eaten this. Maybe it will be good.
    :)
    http://enarasthings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks so delicious! i'm totally craving it now :)

    xxx,

    http://fashionfractions.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Umm... can I place an order of Chili and Corn Casserole and cooler weather; sent to AZ please?! Looks delicious, can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious! I made chili for dinner tonight, it's my favorite. Can't wait to try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm!! Definitely let me know if you do try it - I would love to hear what you think!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol!! Yes, you definitely can!! Don't worry, it was only cool here for like a day - it's back to really hot again!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! Thank you Neris!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you!! I would love to hear if you do try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! Thanks! Let me know if you do - I would love to hear what you think!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so going to try this! My husband looooves chili but I have yet to find a good recipe. Thank you for all your sweet comments & adding me! I am having so much fun checking out your blog! Cheers to a sweet blogging friendship!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay!!! Can't wait to hear what you think of it!!! You're more than welcome - I love your blog and had fun looking through all your cute pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmmm...looks so good. I am so ready for fall. Bring on the chili!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I recently just found your blog through a friend of mine and I love it! I'm looking forward to reading more of your blog. :)

    Btw, the corn casserole looks so good! I really want to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks so delicious and is perfect for the current weather!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Amanda!! I thought so too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay! I'm so glad you found me!!! Just checked out your blog and I love it!! Thanks so much for your sweet comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Ashlee! Lol, I think I'm actually ready for fall too!!! But only for the chili ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving some love! I appreciate every single comment! Make sure to leave your website so I can comment back! xo